Constable and Process Server based in Southbridge, Call toll free (844) EVICTS-1
The First Universalist Church, 368 Main Street in Southbridge, Massachusetts, is located on the corner of Main Street and Hamilton Street. The church was built in 1841, in the Greek Revival style. This building is also known as the Unitarian Church. The Universalists were one of the first three religious denominations to organize in the town. Initially, the society met in the parish meetinghouse, until 1935, sharing the space with the Congregationalists and the Baptists. On April 14, 1838, the first meeting of the society took place in the New England Hotel. Later the society moved to the building depicted above. The steeple was blown off the church during the 1938 hurricane.
"The Universalist Church building was erected on its present site, at the corner of Hamilton and Main streets, in 1842. It will seat an audience of about four hundred. In 1865 the interior of the building was frescoed, and a fine organ was purchased. In 1870 the vestry was finished into several rooms and furnished for the society's use. Again, in 1884 the building was thoroughly remodeled at large expense, and newly furnished. On the left, Main Street extends with fine residences on either side. On the right, with a partial view of Whitford's block, is the beginning of Hamilton Street."
From Southbridge: Illustrated with Pen and Camera by Charles W. Eddy, Ware, Mass. published in 1886.
Worcester Telegram article September 13, 2020
It was nature, less so the parishioners, that did away with the spire atop the First Universalist Church at 368 Main St. in Southbridge.
The church was built in 1842, in Greek Revival style, its spire reaching toward the sky. The church stood proud, filling a corner at Main and Hamilton streets.
Charles W. Eddy, in an 1886 book about Southbridge, wrote: "In 1865 the interior of the building was frescoed, and a fine organ purchased. In 1870 the vestry was finished into several rooms, and furnished for the society's use."